How To: Prepare for an Interview
All throughout March, we are providing you with a How To Series on interviewing. A job interview can be the make-or-break moment. It only takes 7 seconds for an employer to decide their initial impression of you during an interview. Since the interview is so important, we are sharing with you everything you need to be successful! Be sure to check this month for more about interviewing!
So, you have a job interview coming up. You’re excited, nervous, or maybe you don’t know what to expect? Here are three ways to help you feel prepared going into your interview.
- Have a game plan for your interview discussion.
- An interview is usually around 30 minutes. During the interview, provide information the employer could not find on your resume or elsewhere. It is important to express why you are there and what you have to offer. Employers look for this in candidates. Use your self-assessment to help demonstrate the skills and interests you have to offer to their company.
- Research the company you are interviewing for.
- Potential employers may ask the candidate about the company’s mission or goal. Knowing about the company can show the employer the dedication you possess and willingness you have to learn.
- Practice interview questions.
- Find a friend, family member, significant other, etc. and have them ask you possible interview questions. You can think of your own questions or find examples online. Either way, practicing your interview can reduce nerves and boost confidence.